Friday, May 31, 2019

Director of Scream Inspired Slasher Comes Out as Gay; Fans Already Knew Because He Directed a Scream Inspired Slasher

 
     Director Gary Mason has a string of hits on his hands.  In 2015 he released the Scream inspired slasher Where Are You? and followed that up in 2017 with another called I'm Behind You.  Most modern horror fans like his writing style and how he mimics the classic Wes Craven film Scream along with other veritable slashers of the time that were very similar.  Films such as I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legends, and Valentine. 
 
     Recently Gary appeared on the horror podcast Oh! The Horror where he discussed his career, hobbies and then revealed for the first time that he was openly gay.  "We were talking about how he loves to go to horror cons and meet new fans when he suddenly veered the conversation on his sex life and his relationship with producer Michael Baker.  He said he was keeping it a secret for fear it would ruin his career and the whole time he was talking about it I was like "I thought everyone knew he was gay?  I mean, he did make a few slashers that mirror Scream after all" said host Byron Ghoulsby.  "I just assumed he had came out on social media or in an interview somewhere.  It's common knowledge he was gay.  Doesn't change how we feel about him or anything like that.  It was just odd how he expected me to be shocked so I had to fake it somewhat, ya know?  He said it and I was like "no way, that's great." 
     
 
Gary has not responded to our interview request but we hope to speak with him soon about his third slasher Don't Turn on the Light which is scheduled to begin production this summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment