Friday, July 5, 2019

Special Effects Artist and Director Marcus Koch to Retire from Horror to Focus on Being A Pastry Chef

 
     Marcus Koch has carved his name into horror history over the course of his career.  He has directed the unforgettable films Rot, 100 Tears, and American Guinea Pig: Bloodshock, as well as, contributed special effects to the films Death-Scort Service, Her Name Was Torment 2, Song of Solomon, Death House and many more.  Marcus is an unstoppable force within the indie horror community and that is why his leaving is such a shock to horror fans.  "My heart just wasn't in it anymore" Marcus told Horrorable News.
 
     Marcus' career has spanned over 20 years but to him "it was never meant to be a permanent thing.  I just wanted to focus on the culinary arts but my friends were avid horror fans and would drag me along to do their films.  I was secretly taking classes to be a pastry chef and the things I was learning in these classes was actually making me a better at practical effects.  The better I got at cooking the better at practical effects I was getting which created a demand for my work.  More indie filmmakers were contacting me to work on their films.  One was feeding the other and pushing me further and further down the rabbit hole that I never wanted to be a part of to begin with.   I struggled with latex for the longest time but when I learned how to cut and shape fondant icing for cakes I was able to apply that technique to latex and soon I was building elaborate gags for the American Guinea Pig series for Stephen Biro."
 
     "I'm not entirely turning my back on horror" Marcus added.    "I still want to be active on film sets but the food services is where my true passion lies.  Now, if you can excuse me I need to finish the baklava for Felissa Rose."

No comments:

Post a Comment